PeonyBox has been supplying luxurious silk duvets internationally since 2006 and quality has always been our top priority. We only use the finest 100% handmade long mulberry silk in our duvets. As there is no use of chemicals or machinery during the production process, our silk is incredibly light and durable; we are able to maintain all natural benefits and properties of the silk enabling us to supply superior quality duvets to the market.
Although we are a small family run business we are committed to customer satisfaction in everything we do and have gained very many happy and returning customers over the years. We are committed to the environment and ensure that ecological standards are met at all times; we were the first supplier in the UK to introduce the Oeko-Tex accreditation to our silk products.
Many silk duvets on the market are box stitched; this is unnecessary for PeonyBox duvets as our filling is made by stretching out many mats of unspun silk to the size of the duvet. Hundreds of stretched silk sheets are then hand-layered to form a lightweight, even and stable filling. Box-stitched squares are only necessary to hold the silk floss together when either inferior silk such as short broken strands or blended silk is used. Many brands can still claim their duvets contain mulberry silk but it is impossible to hand floss short stranded or blended silk to achieve the same benefits that 100% handmade duvets offer. In order to achieve the same level of warmth as hand layered duvets, box stitched duvets tend to be heavier and contain more silk per square metre; consequently the benefit of sleeping under a lightweight duvet is lost.
Absolutely not! Silk duvets are not all manufactured in the same manner and, more importantly, the silk used in other brands is not all top quality. There is the adage of ‘you get what you pay for’ but this is not necessarily the case, especially when you don’t know what you are paying for! What defines the quality is the filling and there are three types available on the market.
- Short and broken silk strands; a duvet filled with short silk floss costs less to manufacture and is of the lowest quality, and the end product is not necessarily the cheapest. The silk strands cannot be layered to promote airflow in the same way as hand layered silk floss therefore, as with traditional duvets, more silk is necessary to achieve the same level of warmth.
- A-grade mulberry silk; only machine extracted silk has grade ratings. ‘A-grade’ silk duvets use long strand silk but still need some form of stitching to hold the silk in place. Although ‘A-grade’ silk is hand stretched and layered it cannot produce the fine netting featured in PeonyBox duvets; the air does not circulate as well as handmade and the lightweight benefit is not as great. Additionally, involvement of chemicals and machinery results in more fragile, loose and less durable silk.
- 100% handmade silk; no machinery, bleach or other chemical additives are used during the whole production process. This is the most exclusive silk filling available in the market. Duvets produced with 100% handmade silk are more durable and maintain all natural benefits and properties of silk. Contrary to the myth that weight keeps you warm PeonyBox duvets are astonishingly lightweight and warm. Our All Season duvet is only 200gm per square metre, making it particularly beneficial for those suffering from arthritis.
Mulberry silk is produced from silk worms fed on Mulberry leaves. Its filaments are finer and more consistent in width than Tussah silk which is more suitable for silk fabric. Duvets filled with Tussah silk, which is rough and less springy are inferior to Mulberry silk filled duvets.
A silk-filled duvet is breathable and can regulate body temperature thus creating a unique sleeping environment. It is renowned for being cool in Summer and warm in Winter. The choice of duvet weight is a personal decision and should be made according to your own body and ambient room temperature. Our lightweight Summer duvets are suitable for warm nights and offer a refreshing sleeping experience, whilst our medium-weight All Season duvet is ideal for most people all year round; light enough for summer and warm enough for winter nights in a centrally heated room. For individuals who feel cold in the deepest Winter, our Combination Duvet is the perfect choice. It consists of a lightweight Summer and a medium-weight All Season duvet; simply button them together for ultimate warmth and comfort and benefit from the cost saving it provides.
Tog ratings are based on a duvet’s ability to trap warm air; the higher the tog rating, the warmer the duvet. Unlike traditional duvets which work as a physical barrier to retain heat, silk-filled duvets allow air to flow more freely; they have the natural ability to help regulate body temperature by retaining heat during cold weather and releasing heat when the weather is hot, thereby creating the ‘warm in Winter, cool in Summer phenomenon. Consequently, silk duvets cannot be measured by the general tog system; this is particularly pertinent to 100% handmade silk duvets. The fine layered silk net filling featured in PeonyBox duvets provide easier airflow so the same warmth can be achieved as other machine made duvets weighing more, irrespective of the type of silk used.
As silk floss is naturally hypoallergenic, caring for your duvet and pillow is easy. Occasionally air the duvet and pillow out of direct sunlight for a few hours; it's important to do so as this will release the moisture trapped inside the duvet and pillow and restore the loft of the silk floss. When it’s not in use, we recommended the duvet is stored in our cotton drawstring bag in a cool and dry environment. Avoid using a plastic storage box as it will trap moisture inside and water retention can weaken the silk.
Here are a few tips to help you care for your duvet:
- Always protect your duvet and pillow with a removable washable cover
- In order to ensure that it retains all of its natural properties, it must never be machine washed or hand washed in its entirety. However, if necessary, professional specialist dry cleaning is possible.
- Treat surface stains by using a damp cloth
- To maintain the loft of the silk, avoid compressing
Each PeonyBox silk product carries the coveted Oeko-Tex 100 certificate of quality. Oeko-Tex is a global independent organisation that tests for harmful substances or residue of chemicals in textile manufacturing ensuring that ecological standards are met at all times. It is the best and most accurate certification that our silk products are free from any harmful chemicals and safe to use for all. All products are subjected to the strictest testing criteria of the Oeko-Tex Product Class 1 which ensures all products including baby articles meet the human-ecological requirements.
By purchasing Peony Box products you are guaranteed that they will not pose any known health risk, providing reassurance in the pursuit of a healthy lifestyle.
Your pillowcase is made from 22 momme charmeuse mulberry silk. It is the highest quality silk and we recommend hand washing with a PH-neutral detergent or specialist silk wash. It can be gently machine washed using a cold temperature (maximum 30 degrees C) but never bleach or soak. Air dry your pillowcase and, if necessary, iron inside out on a low heat.